Elizabeth: The Golden Age is a 2007 film sequel to the 1998 film Elizabeth, directed by Shekhar Kapur and produced by Universal Pictures and Working Title Films.
It stars Cate Blanchett in the title role and is loosely based on events during the latter part of the reign of Queen Elizabeth I of England. The screenplay was written by William Nicholson and Michael Hirst. The music score was composed by Craig Armstrong and A. R. Rahman. It was filmed at Shepperton Studios and various locations around the United Kingdom with an estimated production budget of 50 to 60 million USD. Guy Hendrix Dyas was the production designer and the costumes were created by Alexandra Byrne.
Plot: Two faiths, two empires, two rulers – colliding in 1588. Papist Spain wants to bring down the heretic Elizabeth. Philip is building an armada but needs a rationale to attack. With covert intrigue, Spain sets a trap for the Queen and her principal secretary, Walsingham, using as a pawn Elizabeth’s cousin Mary Stuart, who’s under house arrest in the North. The trap springs, and the armada sets sail, to rendezvous with French ground forces and to attack. During these months, the Virgin Queen falls in love with Walter Raleigh, keeping him close to court and away from the sea and America. Is treachery or heroism at his heart? Does loneliness await her passionate majesty?
* Cate Blanchett as Elizabeth I of England
* Clive Owen as Walter Raleigh
* Geoffrey Rush as Sir Francis Walsingham
* Abbie Cornish as Elizabeth Throckmorton Lady-in-waiting to Elizabeth I of England(Or Bess)
* Samantha Morton as Mary, Queen of Scots
* Susan Lynch as Annette – Lady-in-waiting to Mary, Queen of Scots
* Jordi Mollà as Philip II of Spain
* Rhys Ifans as Robert Reston
* Eddie Redmayne as Anthony Babington
* Tom Hollander as Sir Amyas Paulet
* David Threlfall as Dr. John Dee
* Adam Godley as William Walsingham
* Laurence Fox as Christopher Hatton
* William Houston as Don Gerau De Spes
* Christian Brassington as Archduke Charles of Austria